Sunday, May 19, 2013

Make Mine Mini


When I began working in mixed media several years ago I started with some square panels of wood that were 2.5" x 2.5" on up to about 5.5" x 5.5". I never intended to make it a habit of working on a such small scale but it was fun so I kept at it. Only problem was I never felt like I had enough time for creating. I can't remember where but I read about the "5-10 minute rule" that it sounded worth giving a try. I would pop into my studio for 5-10 minutes in the morning before I left for work, glue a few things, cut or paint a few papers, then get in another 5-10 minutes when I got home and sometimes again before I went to bed. I was amazed at how much could be accomplish this way. I'm lucky enough to have some bigger blocks of time these days but I can still put that rule into action when the schedule gets crazy and creativity time is hard to come by.

Late last year Cloth Paper Scissors magazine announced a readers challenge called "Make Mine Mini". It was a call for art work that was 4" x 4" or smaller. I had an unfinished 2.5" x 2.5" piece so I made it my goal to get it finished and send it in for consideration. In January, I found out that I was chosen as a finalist and might have my work published in a future issue of the magazine. They didn't let anyone know ahead of time so I had to wait until the May/June issue came out. Looking through my issue when it finally arrived in the mail and there it was, my work on page 87! It's always a thrill to see your work in print. 


© K Johnson  "Grounding"


8 comments:

  1. There you are - page 87!! Your work looks great in print!! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that--congratulations! I saw that reader challenge announced, but didn't get anything finished in time. I'll have to check out it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Kathy!
    That is SO AWESOME!!! Lately I have been working with what SARK calls "micro movements" and it is true that a lot can be accomplished with small bits of time. You are true example and inspiration of that! & I just love all your little "minis" & you! xoLaura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I've never heard of the 5 - 10 minute rule. I'm ready to give it a try. Let's see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Ellen, Cat, Laura and Adriann.

    Adriann you might be interested in reading about the "micromovements" that Laura mentions. Here's the link. http://www.planetsark.com/pdf/MicromovementSheet.pdf

    It was probably Laura who told me about this in the first place : ) Achievement through tiny baby steps - it all adds up. Would love to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI there!!

    I found your blog thru Seth's Artblog Directory . I've so enjoyed browsing i wanted to make sure to stop and say hi! Congratulations on getting your art in print! Thats awesome!! I hope you'll pop over and say hi! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah!! Congratulations to you!! Published-again!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I found your blog through Seth's Artblog Directory also and I can't believe the perfectness of your words during my own time of NOT finding time to fit in art and creativity! I'm so glad I found your blog - my blog (which has been sadly neglected lately) is Weekend Artist and all about making time for creativity in your life - something I have not been doing a very good job of! I love the 5-10 minute rule and I'm going to try it. Just last night I told my husband I was going to take some time to work on my art but I had a lot of difficulty switching from my work/mom self to my art self! I didn't accomplishing anything! I will visit your blog often! Stop by for a visit to my blog:
    http://www.michelleoconnorweekendartist.blogspot.com

    Congratulations on page 87!

    ReplyDelete